Sunday, June 5, 2016

New Mexico Weekend


My family gathered in New Mexico over Memorial Day Weekend to celebrate my grandad's life at his memorial service.  My mom, dad, Steve and I hit the road on Friday afternoon for the long drive to Albuquerque.  It was my first time driving through the Texas Panhandle and we decided to embrace the experience with rattlesnake signs and cowboy hats.



My grandad's memorial service was on Saturday.  It was a lovely service and the room was full of smiles and happy tears as people recounted stories from Grandad's life.  He was one special man.  The service was held in an old pioneer chapel, which was quite beautiful.


The rest of the weekend was spent hanging out with my extended family (and my sister, who flew in separately).  We watched the 100th running of the Indy 500 on Sunday (Steve and I usually go to the race but had different plans this year) and afterwards, in the spirit of the 500, a group of us headed to the Unser Museum.  It was a lot of fun.

 

We hit the road bright and early on Monday morning for the long drive back to DFW.  We caught the sun rising over the Sandias Mountains, and stopped at the (in)famous Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo.


I'm glad we were able to all gather together in New Mexico in honor of my grandfather.  He was a great man and I am proud to be his granddaughter.

No comments :

Post a Comment