Sunday, February 14, 2016

Texas Hill Country

Last month, my parents and I went on a last-minute trip to the Texas Hill Country over the MLK holiday.  When I learned that I had MLK Day off, I wanted to take advantage of the long weekend but, with Steve in hard-core bar study mode, I didn't want to pull him away from his studies.  So it worked out perfectly to get away for the weekend with my parents and be an only child for a couple of days!



The town of Fredericksburg (which lies in the heart of the Hill Country) is a must for any Texan, but despite living in Texas for many years I had never been before.  Needless to say, Fredericksburg and the Hill Country in general exceeded all of my expectations and I can see why everyone loves visiting.  I can't wait to go back and to take Steve later this year.

We drove down to Fredericksburg on Friday night and stayed at a B&B located in the downtown area.  When we woke up on Saturday morning, we had the most delicious breakfast before heading off to nearby Enchanted Rock National Park.  We were fortunate that we went to the park early, because by the time we left the line to get in was 100+ cars long!

Enchanted Rock itself is quite the sight to see - it truly is a large granite rock that is bald on top and the hike up to the top leads to some incredible views of the Texas Hill Country.


When we begun the ascent to the top of the rock, it was cloudy and chilly.  We warmed up right away once we started climbing, though!  The hike up to the top got a little scary at times, because you are literally just climbing up the side of the rock.  It is steeper than it looks in these pictures, I promise.


The views from the top of the rock were totally worth the trek.


The clouds began to break once we made it to the top of the rock, so we took our time exploring on the way back down.  We blazed our own trail and some points, and saw some belayers (they are tiny specks on the right in the picture below).


Long story short: Enchanted Rock was SO MUCH FUN.

After our outdoorsy adventure, we spent several hours in downtown Fredericksburg taking advantage of the local shopping.  I managed to purchase not one, not two, but three different vests ;) before stopping in what I know will be Steve's favorite store of all time.  They have hundreds of different salsas, which you can sample in the store, and - most importantly - there was an entire room in this store for hot sauces.  When I take him later this year, I have a feeling we will be in that store for hours!


We celebrated our shopping success for the day with a trip to one of the local wineries for a wine tasting before enjoying dinner at a local B&B restaurant.


We wrapped up our trip the next day with some more exploring of downtown Fredericksburg, including a store where I became best friends with a coyote with nearly matching (faux) fur.  No big deal.


And last but not least - a trip to the Hill Country would not be complete without a short jaunt through Luckenbach!


It was such a treat to spend the weekend with my parents and to explore a new part of the state with them!  I can't wait to go back again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment