Monday, December 14, 2015

A birthday weekend

My mom's birthday was this past week and, in my family, birthdays are a big deal.  Luckily, my mom's big day was on Sunday this year, so we got to celebrate all weekend!

The birthday festivities began in an extra-festive manner with a Santa Run on Saturday morning.  I've always wanted to do one of these "fun runs" and when I found a Groupon discount price, I got the entire family (dogs included) to agree to do it with me.  I've never seen so many Santas in once place!



It was without a doubt the most fun 5k in which I've ever run.  There was a guy dressed up as Buddy the Elf, and at one point during the race he yelled out, "SANTA!  It's SANTA!" just like Will Ferrell.  It was great.  We also saw a Grinch, a Gorilla and tons of dogs dressed up in Santa and elf costumes.  

My mom's official birthday dinner was celebrated at a delicious Italian restaurant in downtown Fort Worth.  After dinner, we walked through Sundance Square and saw all of the decorations.  Fort Worth really knows how to decorate for Christmas!


The birthday celebrations continued on Sunday with a tour of the miniature trains exhibit at Northpark Mall in Dallas.


After that, we headed over to our church for their Christmas concert.  It was phenomenal!  I love our church and their music program is incredible.  I sang in the 4th of July concert earlier this year but was too busy with work this fall to get to sing in this concert.  It worked out for the best, though, because getting to listen to the beautiful music with Steve and my parents was really special to me.
We wrapped up the evening with another birthday dinner!  This time, tex-mex in Steve and my stomping grounds of downtown Dallas.

{the beautiful birthday girl}

It has been several years since I celebrated in person with my mom on her birthday.  This year, I just felt grateful for getting to celebrate with her all weekend since we live so close now.  Happy birthday, Mom - I hope you enjoyed your birthday weekend!

No comments :

Post a Comment