Saturday, October 3, 2015

So Long Summer: Washington DC Wedding

In August, Steve and I flew out to Washington D.C. to celebrate the wedding of a friend from law school.  Jon and Steve were best friends in school and won our school's moot court competition together.  They are cut from the same cloth and Steve was really excited to be a part of Jon's special day as a groomsman.

{law school friends reunited at the reception}


While Steve was busy with wedding party stuff, I had an entire day to myself - which was quite a treat!  The wedding was in Reston, VA, which was just a short train ride away from downtown DC.  The last time I was in DC was on my 8th grade field trip, so needless to say, it had been a while.

{throwback!  10 points for anyone who can find me!}

I rode one of the early morning trains into the city on Saturday morning and spent the day trekking around to every monument and museum that suited my fancy.  It was really fun to experience DC as a grown adult, and particularly so as a nerdy lawyer.  It was much different from the last time I was in the city!


After a quick detour past the White House, my first stop was the National Mall.  The Washington and WWII memorials were at the top of my list.


My next stop was a sentimental favorite - the Lincoln memorial.  The weather was beautiful and perfect for the long walk along the reflecting pool.  That pool always reminds me of Forrest Gump!  Great movie - although I don't think I would want to jump into that water.  I'll leave that to the ducks :)


 After swinging by the Vietnam memorial, next up was the Smithsonian.  I visited the American History museum, where I got to see the original Star Spangled Banner, the Greensboro lunch counter used during the Civil Rights sit-ins, and Dorothy's red ruby slippers from the filming of the Wizard of Oz.


My last stop was a lawyer-must - a tour of the National Archives to see the Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Constitution.  I snapped this quick picture before entering and felt like such a rebel.  Haha.  Seeing those classic pieces of paper that shaped our nation was very moving.  I wish I could have taken 1,000 pictures!


By the time I made it through the National Archives, I was running out of time and my feet were tired!  So this the closest I got to Capitol Hill.  It was under construction anyway and tours are on hold, so I didn't feel like I missed out on a lot ;)


It was a very fun, albeit tiring day!  After a short rest, I joined the rest of our law school friends for the wedding and reception.  It was a great way to wrap up the trip.



I am so glad that I got to take some time to rediscover the incredible history that is memorialized in DC.  When I was in DC in 8th grade, I had no idea that I would eventually become a lawyer.  Visiting again 15 years later as a practicing attorney made me nerd out much more than on my prior visit.  I was also proud of myself for riding the metro into the city (especially since the only public transportation I've really ever used was the London Underground one spring break with my best friend in college) and making the most of my time in DC.

Steve has made me promise to visit again when he has more free time, since he loves everything political and DC-related.  So this may have been my first trip in 15 years, but it certainly will not be my last!

No comments :

Post a Comment