Friday, October 3, 2014

steve's 29th birthday

Steve turned twenty-nine on Sunday - his last birthday in his twenties!  My parents were in town for my cousin's wedding, so we had a weekend full of wedding-related events planned.  We were along for the ride for most of the weekend.  Steve was very sweet and laid back about the whole thing - whatever we ended up doing was fine with him.  It was important to me, though, that the wedding festivities not overshadow his big day.  Fortunately, we were able to set aside all day on Sunday to celebrate all things Steve, so it ended up working out really well. 


The birthday celebrations actually began on Saturday night, when my aunts/uncles/grandparents surprised Steve with a gigantic birthday ice cream sundae at the end of our post-wedding family meal.  He was certainly surprised, and quite pleased I think as well!  It was a sweet gesture by my extended family, one that I think made Steve feel very loved.


On Sunday, my parents joined us for church where they got to meet most of our small group friends.  I talk about my small group gals all the time, so I was glad that they can now put faces to names!  After service, we opted for a Halsey family tradition - a post-church Starbucks outing.  Yum.  The weather was absolutely beautiful this weekend, so we enjoyed sitting outside in the sunshine.


After we got home from Starbucks, we caught a great Colts win before it was time for the birthday boy to open his presents...


... right after a family picture!

 

In typical guy fashion, he was thrilled for his very practical gifts - a bike rack, espresso maker, golf technique tool... ya know, typical guy stuff.


My dad flew back to Dallas that night, so we had an early dinner at Iozzo's Garden of Italy in downtown Indy on the way to the airport.  

Iozzo's is a family-owned restaurant, and is Italian in every possible sense of the word.  It's also a restaurant that holds a special place in my heart.  Steve met my dad for the first time at this restaurant, and also (unbeknownst to me) asked my dad for my hand in marriage here.  We also celebrated law school graduation here,.  This dinner was another great memory to add to the list of celebrations.


After dropping my dad off at the airport, we rounded out the day with some homemade birthday cake.    And yes, there is a piece already taken out of the cake - we sent my dad back with a piece to eat on the plane since he couldn't be with us when Steve blew out the candles.


Now I just have five months to rub it in Steve's face that he is a year older than me ;) and time to get crackin' on the big 3-0 next year!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Steve was spoiled! ;-) Happy belated birthday to him. :-)

    ReplyDelete