Monday, October 20, 2014

amy meets montana (a sister weekend)

Two weekends ago, I had such a great treat - a trip to visit my little sister in Montana.  She moved out to Montana earlier this year to begin her residency.  She's there for a year and I couldn't miss out on the opportunity to visit this fall.  We had a great weekend!  Here's my beautiful sister in her new home.  Thanks for hosting me, sissy!



We started the weekend off with a hike along the rimrock surrounding Billings.  It was a great place to take in the view of the city and to see the beautiful autumn colors.


After the hike (and a quick stop at Starbucks, of course!), we hit the road for the Beartooth Pass.  This road winds through the mountains of southern Montana and into northern Wyoming.  It eventually leads into Yellowstone National Park.  We didn't make it all the way to Yellowstone, but certainly managed to see some stunning views!  Another post of pictures from the pass is coming soon.


After six+ hours in the car, we were exhausted by the time we made it back to my sister's house.  We ordered pizza and watched a movie and youtube videos - the perfect Halsey sister evening.  

The next morning, we headed back to the rimrock to hike along the Zimmerman Trail.  My sister's pup, Finley, ran around with tons of energy while my sister and I hiked about three miles.  It was so much fun and great to take in the scenery.


After our hike, we hit up Starbucks again (do you see the theme here?  haha) and then undertook the most important mission of my trip: to get my sister ready for a real, actual northern winter.  A winter coat, snow boots, hat, gloves, shovel, window scraper and five bags of salt later, we were all set.  We went to dinner at a local steakhouse to celebrate.


After dinner, we watched the Les Mis 25th Anniversary Concert and dressed Finley up in his Halloween costume.  Isn't he the cutest?


On Sunday morning, we had breakfast at a cute cafe in downtown Billings.  We split a cinnamon roll, which was absolutely huge!  Between the two of us, we only made it through half of the roll.  But it was delicious.


After going to my sister's church service and getting one last Starbucks for the trip, my sister and I reluctantly said goodbye and I caught my flight home.  It was hard to leave her, but I was glad to see her doing so well in Montana.  I hope to make it back again before she moves back to Texas.  Thanks again for having me, sis!

More pictures of our weekend coming soon!  

6 comments:

  1. What a fun trip!!! I'm glad you got to enjoy time with your sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so gorgeous! what fun! glad you & your sister were able to spend a nice weekend together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun place to visit!!
    She is brave to be so far from home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so too! She's only out there for a year - I know my parents will be glad to have her close again next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I've definitely missed her a ton, so having a weekend together was extra-special!

    ReplyDelete