Tuesday, September 2, 2014

sweet south dakota: day 3 and 4 (the badlands)

{We spent a wonderful weekend in South Dakota for my family reunion.  You can read more about our trip here and here.}

On Sunday, we woke up early and drove down the canyon where we were staying to check out the Spearfish Canyon Waterfall.  Our flight was set for early afternoon, so we wanted to make the most of the rest of our time in SD.


 

We stopped in Rapid City with my grandma for lunch before heading to the airport.  Right after we ordered our meals, we got a phone call from my parents telling us that their flight had been cancelled due to bad weather in Texas.  Within twenty minutes, I received a phone call from American Airlines - our flight was also cancelled, due to flight maintenance!

I called my dad to tell him the news and, half joking, suggested that he check my grandma's flight to make sure it was still on time.  He checked, and, will you believe it, her flight was cancelled too, due to crew unavailability.  So there we were, all five of us, stuck in South Dakota for another twenty-four hours!

After several hours at the airport working out new flight logistics, we found ourselves at a local hotel with an open schedule for another day.  We decided to take advantage of the extra time and take a trip to the Badlands.  I am so glad that we did, because it just may have been my favorite part of the weekend.


The Badlands were once the bottom of an ancient sea.  As the sea dried up, it left a truly unique landscape of canyons and cliffs unlike anything I've ever seen before.  It was incredible.


While being stuck in South Dakota for an extra day wasn't exactly what we had planned, I think it was more than just coincidence that all three of our flights were cancelled due to three different reasons and with three different destinations.  It was a blessing to get some extra time with my parents and grandma.  And I loved seeing another beautiful place in South Dakota.  


All in all, the family reunion was an amazing success.  The only thing that would have made it better was if my sister had been able to join us.  Shelby, you were dearly missed.  Guess we will just have to go back again with you someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment