Thursday, June 26, 2014

currently: june

"What is one to say about June,
the time of perfect young summer,
the fulfillment of the promise of the earlier months,
and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade."
- Gertrude Jekyll
Love my sis and my gorgeous alma mater (#ricefightneverdie)
My favorite month is finally here - and is flying by.  After what seemed like an eternal winter, it's officially summertime.  I hope to take advantage of this gorgeous, sunny, warm, humid weather as much as I can.  Before June departs and ushers us into July, here's what I'm currently up to this month:


Reading: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.  It's started off very slowly but I just reached a new twist so I'm hoping it picks up soon.  It won a Pulitzer Prize, so it has to get good at some point, right? 

Making:  well, not so much making as puzzling.  My sister, mom and I did this puzzle on our houseboat trip and it inspired me to order a puzzle of my own for those stormy summer nights.  It just arrived this week, so I'm looking forward to getting started.  Plus, it's Disney, and who doesn't love a good Disney puzzle?

Cooking: it's safe to assume that whatever I am cooking these days, it is Mexican.  I made a Mexican dish for our small group dinner last week and one of our friends told me that I should write a cookbook entitled, "La Gringa Texan Who Cooks Mexican."  Hah!  Steve and I both love Mexican food, plus it's easy to cook.  So if you're hungry for some Mexican food, come on over.

Drinking: Carnation Breakfast smoothies every morning.  They're a great way to get my vitamins and some energy to start off the day.  My favorite flavor is Classic French Vanilla.

Deciding: that despite my limited knowledge of soccer, cheering on the US Soccer Team in the World Cup is an absolute must.  Go USA!  {source}
Wanting:  summer to last forever.

 Playing: Shania Twain.  All day, every day.  It's like I'm fourteen years old again - and I'm loving it.  Also, I've recently discovered this song and I play it on repeat too. 

Watching: the X-Men series.  Steve took me to see a movie earlier this month and I picked X-Men: Days of Future Past.  Come to find out, he has never seen a single X-Men movie!  Luckily our friends down the street are X-Men fans and loaned us all of the DVDs, so we have been working our way through them. 

Exercising: this is a sensitive subject for me right now.  I took some significant time off of my marathon training due to serious calf pain.  That healed up after a few weeks, but now my knee (on my other leg) is causing lots of problems.  I am going to try a different pair of running shoes and see if that helps at all.  If worst comes to worst, a visit to a Sports MD may be in my future :(

Learning: the importance of healthy boundaries.

Pinning: strength training exercises.

Wishing: that I was back on our houseboat trip with my family.  We had such a great time.  You can read about our trip here and here.
Wearing: sundresses and sandals.  My favorite summer ensemble!

Needing: life to just slow down a bit.  I feel like I don't have enough time to do everything I want to this summer.

Reflecting: on this quote: "Comparison is the thief of joy."

Feeling: grateful for unexpected visits from old friends. 

Praying: for my sister as she makes the big move to Montana to start her residency!
Loving: the start to a third year of marriage - the best one yet - to my love.  (You can read about our second anniversary here and here.)
Enjoy the rest of this wonderful month, friends!  July will be here before we know it.

No comments :

Post a Comment