Wednesday, May 28, 2014

what is a silver lining?

silver lining (noun): a sign of hope in an unfortunate or gloomy situation; a bright prospect.
[origin from the proverb: "Every cloud has a silver lining" (1870)]



Today, I want to share with you all a little more about how this blog got started.  I'd like you to travel back in time with me to when I first started blogging - at the beginning of 2013.  I was newly married, had just spent my first Christmas ever away from my family, and was going through some life stuff that I was not prepared for.  And in the midst of everything, I felt like the life had been sucked out of me.  It was at that low point, when life seemed to be anything but bright, that I created The Silver Lining (TSL). 

Initially, the blog was meant to just be a place to vent my frustrations, to clear my head.  But this little space quickly evolved into a place of refuge for me.  I poured out my heart into each blog post, just like I would a journal entry.  Some days it was painful - the ugliness of life just hurt.  But once when I set forth the darkness that crept up (and even enveloped me some days) on screen, could I see the silver linings start to appear from behind the clouds. 



Through those early months of pursuing the silver lining, God taught me how to hope.  Just because life was hard did not mean that God was not good.  Or that I was unloved.  Or that it would never get better.  He was still in charge and still had a plan.  He was there all along, walking with me through the hard times - and helping me to see that despite everything, my life was still beautiful.  The sun was still shining behind the clouds.

When I named this blog, I didn't have any of this in mind.  The name actually came from my grandpa, Pops, with whom I was very close growing up.  "The Silver Lining" was the title of a sweet little song that he used to sing with my sister and I - among many others.  The lyrics go like this:

Look for the silver lining
Whenever clouds appear in the blue
Remember somewhere the sun is shining,
And so the right thing to do
Is make it shine for you
A heart full of love and gladness
Will banish all your sadness and strife,
So always look for the silver lining
And try to find the sunny side of life.

Pops left us to be with the Lord in 2012 - two days after Steve and I were married - after bravely battling aphasia and Alzheimer's.  He was an incredible man who I greatly admired and loved.  He taught me so much about life.  And when I created TSL, I knew he would be very pleased that I had begun memorializing my life's moments on this blog.  He would have loved it, actually.  He was always big on documenting memories, and scrapbooks were a favorite thing of his. 


I think about Pops a lot.  I wish I could've talked to him about some of the tough life stuff I was going through when TSL began.  I wish I could share each story that I post on TSL with him.  And how wonderful it is to know that one day I will, when we are reunited in Heaven with Jesus. 

Until then, I like to think that he would be very proud of me for TSL and that he would agree with the lesson that TSL has taught me - that life is best lived when you look for the silver lining. 

2 comments:

  1. I just love hearing the stories behind how bloggers come up with a name for their blog. That must have been so hard to loose your Pops right after getting married, I am sure he looks at you with great pride with the space you have created here:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Patty - I like to think so!

    ReplyDelete