Friday, May 9, 2014

spring in the dunes

While Steve attended a conference last weekend, this little cutie and I traveled up to the Indiana Dunes for a girls' getaway. 

We had a great time with my grandma and aunt.  We kept ourselves busy on Saturday with an early morning long run for me, followed by a full day of shopping and a delicious lunch (complete with wine tasting) at Cooper's Hawk.
(Sorry for the bad quality of this photo - the poor waitress tried her best !)
My favorite season in the Indiana Dunes is Summer.  I have terrific childhood memories of sailing on Lake Michigan, sunning on my grandparents' patio and, of course, swimming in their pool.  A few years ago, they filled the pool and replaced it with an extensive garden.  While the little kid in me still misses the pool from time to time, the garden adds a whole new level of beauty to the house and is a great place to just sit and soak everything in.  I love it.
Summer still takes the cake, but Spring is moving up a little in my book thanks to my grandma's garden, which wasa great place to practice using my new camera!  Lyla was my little helper and model- a fur-mom has to show off her pup from time to time, right? :)
On Sunday morning, Lyla and I took a walk down to the beach.  One of the best parts of Lake Michigan from the Dunes is it feels like you're on an ocean, but the bustling city of Chicago is just a hop, skip and a jump away.  Literally.  On a clear day, you can see the full Chicago skyline from the beach.  Luckily, Sunday was one of those days. 
All in all, a really great weekend.

3 comments :

  1. That garden has so much potential! :)

    Jen

    http://jennicawanders.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/hi-boracay/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I'll try to post a picture or two later in the summer when the roses are in full bloom. It's even prettier then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Amy! I have just set up my blog over at http://jennicawanders.blogspot.com/ and I hope you can visit and let me know what you think! :)

    ReplyDelete