Tuesday, May 27, 2014

running recap: week 5

This post is part of an ongoing series to recap my runs as I train for a marathon - you can read more about that here
Well, Week 5 didn't quite go as planned.  After my long run from Week 4, I started to really struggle with pain in my left calf muscle.  I tried to push through it for two days, which was not a good idea.  After being unable to walk down the stairs without significant pain, I decided it was time to give my legs (well, really just my left leg) a break.  I'm pretty sure it's my soleus muscle that's causing the problem. 


Everything I read encouraged rest, icing and stretching, so that's what I did.  I also bribed the hubs to give me some (painful!) calf rubdowns, which helped immensely.  I am easing my way back in to running this week (with a 2.5 miler yesterday) and hope to get one more long run in before our vacation next week.
Here's my day-by-day breakdown this week:

Monday
Goal / Actual: 3 miles outside downtown after work.
Tuesday
Goal: 5 miles
Actual: 4 miles outside downtown after work - the first time I've stopped before hitting my mileage for the day.  This was when the pain was too much.  It was time to rest from here on out!
Wednesday
Goal / Actual: rest day
Thursday
Goal: 3 miles
 Actual: injury rest day
Friday
Goal / Actual: rest day
Saturday
Goal: 9 miles
Actual: swam laps for 40 minutes
Sunday
Goal: cross-training
Actual: walked (at least) 4 miles at the Indy 500.  A great excuse for exercise!  I'll be posting about a great day at the racetrack soon.
Total mileage: 11 miles (this week will be better, I can feel it!)

2 comments:

  1. That's impressive! I hope your injury heals quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete