Monday, May 5, 2014

running recap: week 2

This post is part of an ongoing series to recap my runs as I train for a marathon - you can read more about that here

After the excitement of starting my training wore off, I struggled a bit this week with calf and shin pain.  It made the mid-week runs pretty challenging, even though they were short.  I was afraid that I had developed shin splints already, which would be a big problem for continuing my training.  After doing some research and implementing a good stretch/ice routine after my runs, though, I noticed that the pain has subsided for the most part.  So I think that the pain is due to just getting my legs used to pavement pounding again.  What a relief!  Lesson learned: never underestimate the power of a good stretch and ice routine.

Here's my day-by-day breakdown this week:

Monday
Goal: rest day
Actual: 3 miles outside (swapped with Wednesday).  We expected thunderstorms all day but the clouds broke by mid-afternoon so I couldn't resist a loop around my neighborhood when I got home.
Tuesday
Goal / Actual: 3 miles outside.  Another neighborhood loop.
Wednesday
Goal: 3 miles
Actual: rest day (swapped with Monday)
Thursday
Goal / Actual: 3 miles on the treadmill during my lunch break. 
Friday
Goal / Actual: rest day
Saturday
Goal / Actual: 7 miles in the Indiana Dunes.  The first couple of miles were rough but I hit my stride around mile 3 and finished strong.  After struggling earlier in the week, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to complete all 7 miles but in the moment I was able to push through!  Such a great feeling to know that I broke through my first barrier of this training series.
Sunday
Goal: cross training
Actual: Walk on the beach with Lyla.

Total mileage: 16 miles

No comments :

Post a Comment