Saturday, January 11, 2014

january-ing

How is it January 11th already?  After surviving the Polar Vortex last weekend, I feel like this week has flown by.  It's a balmy 34 degrees here today, which feels great after the -40 degree windchill on Monday.
I'm a little behind the curve in setting some goals/hopes for this upcoming year.  Hopefully they will come together this weekend, but in the meantime, I leave you with my "happen-ings" of this month!  (here are the month-ings for October, November and December

reading:  I got The Power of a Praying Wife over the holidays from a sweet friend in our small group, so I am looking forward to getting started on that.  I'm also still working my way through One Thousand Gifts - it's a great book and I am taking my time, savoring each chapter.  Good stuff in there.
making: travel plans for the year.  We just booked a houseboat trip with my family in June and I couldn't be more excited.  I'm also hoping to arrange a girls' weekend sometime this spring.
cooking: Steve is on another round of his P90X program and this time I am jumping in with him... so we have been doing a lot of healthy cooking.  It's been a fun adventure.
drinking: lots and lots of hot chocolate, especially during the Polar Vortex.
wanting: to go line dancing.  I used to go all the time in college - such a Texan thing - and have really been missing it lately.  There's one country dance hall in town, but I don't know much about it.  Maybe it's time for me to look into it.
watching: Downton Abbey!  The season premiere was last weekend and I am re-hooked to that show already.  I'm also looking forward to the return of Sherlock next weekend.  I'm all about the BBC shows this year.
eating: please see cooking, above.  Lots of healthy food - with some cheats here and there :)
enjoying: getting back into the swing of things with work and routine after the holidays and snow storm.
deciding: to care for my body better this year.  That includes both how I work it out with exercise and what I put into it with food.
wishing: we could have spent more time with my family of Christmas.  We had a wonderful time - it was just way too short.
wondering: what God's plan is for us geographically-wise.  I've been feeling a tug back to Texas lately and am trying to sort out what God has in mind for us in the near and distant future.  I love Indy but I love Texas too.  It's confusing.
learning: how to use my new camera.  It's been so much fun!
hoping: that the rest of my little sister's residency interviews go well and that she gets her top choice of programs on Match Day in March.  I got to take her to a residency interview in Chicago last weekend before the snow storm and we had a great time.
marveling: at God's power through nature - and also how He can make beauty out of nothing.  One day, our back yard is just a bunch of dead grass... the next, it's a winter wonderland.  Pretty incredible.
smelling: do you think that snow has a smell?  I definitely do - before the snow storm, I could have sworn that I could smell the change in the weather.  Kind of like when it rains.
missing: Texas.
wearing: lots and lots of layers.
noticing: that I seem to struggle more and more with the cold each passing year.  Not a good sign.  This disease runs in my family and I'm pretty sure I have it.  Thus why I am wearing lots and lots of layers!
knowing: that He makes everything beautiful in its time.  (Eccl. 3:11).
thinking: that there's nothing better on a cold winter's night than drinking hot tea by a warm fire.
pinning: encouragement for making healthy lifestyle decisions.
feeling: cold.  I'll just leave it at that :)
praying: prayers of thanksgiving to the Lord for carrying me through the past year.  Despite challenges and adversity, He blessed me in so many ways and I am especially thankful at the start of this new year for new beginnings and fresh starts.
looking forward to: seeing what God has in store for us this year.  I'm sure it's going to be good stuff.
loving: weekends with no plans.  After a busy holiday season, it's refreshing to wake up on a Saturday morning and have the entire weekend at our leisure.  I'm sure when spring rolls around we'll be traveling much more etc., but for now I'm enjoying the slower-paced weekends.

I hope you are having a great January so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment