Friday, November 22, 2013

the thankful project days 20-22

{Linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy}

I was out of town for work this week and fell behind on The Thankful Project - oops!  Here's a quick recap to catch up to today.
 
November 20th: Something About Your Significant Other.
There are many things about Steve for which I am thankful (and I wrote about a few of them here).  It's hard to pick just one.  But what I am most thankful for is his heart for the Lord.  I can't imagine what our relationship would be like if Steve did not pursue Jesus above all else (yes, even above me). 
I am thankful that he studies the Bible, works on his own prayer life and spiritual well-being, and takes the initiative to lead us in prayer time.  I am also grateful for the biblical love that he shows to me every day.  He studies my love languages and remembers the little ways that I feel cherished as a wife.  He learned pretty early on, for example, that flowers are always a good idea. 
 
We are by no means a perfect couple.  We fight - sometimes more often than I'd like to admit.  But even in those fights and disagreements, Steve works hard to "fight well."  By that, I mean that he tries to listen to me and to show his covenant love to me even when we are not on the best of terms.  I am grateful that he takes this marriage covenant seriously, both to me and also to the God who brought us together, and that he works daily to strengthen it and to be a godly husband to me. 
 
Life isn't always perfect, but I'm so glad I have a godly man at my side who loves the Lord.
 
November 21st: Something That's Easy To Take For Granted.
This one is easy - it's my paycheck.  In our society, it's easy to think that a paycheck is something that you are entitled to.  You do the work, you get paid.  It's that simple, right? 
 
I beg to differ.  Sure, I put in long hours and hard work in my job, and I earn my salary.  But today I choose to be thankful that I have a paycheck - period.  I am blessed to have the job that I enjoy, and that I can make money working with the people that I work with.  They are great. 
 
I am so thankful to have a source of income to pay off those pesky student loans and to build a life with my husband.  I'm also grateful that my firm sees value in the work that I do.  And lastly, I'm so thankful for all of the schooling opportunities that I was given that qualified me to hold the job that I have now and to bring home the paycheck that I do.
the whole family at my law school graduation
I don't know what the future has in store for me career-wise, but for now I am thankful that while I must work, I am able to work, get to work where I do, and can earn a paycheck.
 
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.  - Col. 3:23-24 (esv)
 
 
November 22nd: An Expectation.
Today, I'm thankful that I can expect that Jesus will return some day.  I don't have to hope, or wish, or wonder whether He will come back - I can expect it.  I may not know when He comes (in fact, no one will know), but I know with certainty that it will happen. 
 
Stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning, and be like men who are waiting for their master to come home from the wedding feast, so that they may open the door to him at once when he comes and knocks. Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them. If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them awake, blessed are those servants! But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have left his house to be broken into. You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” - Luke 12:35-40
 
It will be one glorious homecoming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment