Monday, November 25, 2013

the thankful project day 24: a physical trait (a day late)

{Linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy}

November 24th: A Physical Trait.
 At first, I really struggled with this prompt.  Picking something about my appearance that I am thankful for seemed vain.  But then I was reminded that God made me to be physically unique and special.  And it's okay to reflect on and identify things about my appearance for which I am thankful, because they are God's handiwork.  So today, I am thankful for my smile. 
I suffered through a few brutal years of orthodontics, including the world's most terrible invention, the expander.  Getting food stuck in the roof of my mouth due to that contraption was the very opposite of fun.  But years later, I am so thankful that my parents saw it as a priority to make sure I had straight teeth and a smile that I loved. 
 
I think a smile is the easiest way you can connect with someone, and would like to think that mine is a warm smile that makes others feel like they can open up to me.  I've noticed that there is so much power in a smile, and that just smiling at someone in line at the grocery store for a moment can change their entire demeanor.  Smiling is an easy way to bestow a blessing upon a stranger.
 
So, to quote Buddy the Elf, "I just like to smile.  Smiling's my favorite."

No comments:

Post a Comment