Friday, November 15, 2013

the thankful project day 15: an annoyance

{Linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy}

November 15th: An Annoyance.
Believe it or not, marriage is not always what you envision of "wedded bliss."   To be honest, living with someone - especially a man - is a lot harder than it looks at times. 
 
 There are plenty of little things that Steve does that can drive me crazy, like:
 - not shutting the pantry door in our kitchen all the way (I am a stickler about this.  No idea why.)
 - losing track of time and being late
 - cranking the bass on our stereo
 - losing things - wallet, keys, phone, etc.
 - not wiping down the kitchen counters after cooking a meal
 
But there are also plenty of things that I do that drive him up the wall, like:
 - backseat driving (I am soooo guilty of this)
 - committing to things without checking with him first
 - fidgeting (I am a huge fidgeter)
 - procrastinating doing laundry as long as I possibly can
 - letting Lyla in our bed (he can't stand this, but I just can't resist her sweet puppy charm!)
 
No matter how irritating they may be, I've learned I'm learning to be thankful for these little annoyances of ours.  First, I am thankful that they exist at all - that God has blessed me with a husband who I get to spend my life with, the good and the bad. 
 
I'm also thankful for the opportunities for growth that dealing with these little quirks of Steve's offer for me.  I'm learning to accept him for who he is, and not force him to be someone he's not - for example one who is early to things (because that may never happen).  Instead, I celebrate when he is on time for our daily commute.  And for those things that could use some improvement, I'm learning to speak lovingly to him and to encourage him in making good life changes.
 
Lastly, I'm thankful that marriage helps me to see the imperfections in myself, and gives me the chance to correct them and become a better wife and person.  Do I need to direct Steve through every stoplight on the way to work?  Definitely not.  Can I learn to trust that he (generally) knows where he's going and, even if he makes a wrong turn, it's not the end of the world?  I'm working on it, but yes, yes I can. 
 
Because let's face it, no one is perfect.  And these little annoyances in marriage are an excellent way for us to help each other grow, and draw each other closer to Christ.
 
Iron sharpens iron,
and one man sharpens another.
- Proverbs 27:17 (esv)

No comments :

Post a Comment