Monday, November 11, 2013

the thankful project day 11: something you were taught


{Linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy}
 
November 11th: Something You Were Taught.
Since I first learned how to read, my parents taught me to love books.  I quickly became a bookworm and read everything I could get my hands on.  It was quite the treat when our babysitter would take my sister and I down to the public library for the afternoon.  In that library, I met the Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, and the Babysitter's Club.  Later, when I moved on to the classics section, I learned to love Charlotte and Emily Bronte, Jane Austen and Charles Dickens.  Even though I don't read as often as I'd like anymore, I still relish cuddling up with an old favorite for hours on end and absorbing myself in the story.
a well beloved classic - it's seen better days but is still my favorite
I am so thankful that my parents taught me the importance of reading.  Reading is an excellent stress reliever and is also a great teacher.  As much as I enjoy watching movies or TV shows, they just aren't the same as enjoying a really, really good book.  As our society moves further and further into an electronic age, I can only hope that the next generations will still be able to experience the joy that I do every time I turn the final page of a truly great read.  Such a great feeling.

(PS - here's a great read on the why our future depends on libraries, reading and daydreaming.)

No comments :

Post a Comment