Wednesday, November 6, 2013

the thankful project day 6: a failure (juris doctor)


{Linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy}

November 6th: A Failure.
I can remember so clearly the day that I decided I wanted to become a doctor.  We had a guest speaker that day in our fifth grade class - he was the dad of a friend of mine and also a highly distinguished physician.  During his slideshow of a day in the life of a doctor, I decided then and there that one day I would devote my life to the study of medicine and become a well-respected doctor myself. 
I took a lot of pride in my medical career aspirations.  I took challenging science courses in high school and college, despite the fact that I enjoyed my English classes more than my Biochem ones.  I made sure all of my friends knew how serious of a student I was and how I would be a doctor one day.  I took a prep class for the MCAT and then took the exam before anyone else in my grade, just to show that I was a step ahead.  My pride was a little out of control. 
So when I got back my MCAT score and it wasn't as high as I had hoped, my world turned upside down.  I had planned out the majority of my academic career to wind up in an elite medical school.  This score wasn't going to get me into Johns Hopkins or Harvard - it most likely wouldn't get me in anywhere I wanted to go. I signed up to take the exam again and, low and behold, my second score was the exact same as the first score.   I was devastated. 
All of this happened around the same time that my collegiate swimming career came to a screeching halt due to a back injury.  You can read more about that here.  So I found myself swimming-less and career-less.  I could have pressed on with the med school ambitions, but I soon realized after everything was no longer going exactly as I had planned that my heart just wasn't in it anymore.
During that time of flux in my life, God began to open my heart to another career plan - one that I had ruled out long ago but that He had in mind for me all along.  I took the LSAT and read up on what law school was all about.  I researched different law schools and what kinds of work lawyers do.  I applied to some schools back in the Midwest and got in. 
I began law school and found that I actually loved it.  I graduated at the top of my class and got an incredible job with a great firm in Indy.  I enjoy the work that I do and am amazed at how science-minded brain is fulfilled by my legal-minded job (nearly) every day.
Oh, and I met my husband in law school. 
And to think, none of this would have happened if I had been stubborn, ignored God's tugs on my heart, and gone to medical school.  My life is incredibly blessed, because of that failure to fulfill my med school dream. 

My little sister is now finishing up her last year of medical school.  I couldn't be prouder of her.  She is exactly where she is supposed to be, and is going to make a great doctor.  I'm so glad it's her instead of me, for many reasons, but most importantly because she was meant to be a doctor.  And I was always meant to be a lawyer...I just took a round-about way to get there.


No comments :

Post a Comment