Wednesday, November 13, 2013

recipe: chicken & rice casserole

This delicious family recipe comes from my grandma and is the perfect comfort food!  I made it last week for friends of ours who just adopted a baby.  The casserole is surprisingly simple to make and re-heats well.  I made enough to give our friends several meals worth, while also saving some for myself.  Yum!
Chicken & Rice Casserole (makes 6 generous servings)
What you'll need:
 - 1/4 cup butter
 - 1/4 cup flour
 - 1 3 oz. can sliced mushrooms
 - 1 14 oz. can evaporated milk
 - 1 cup chicken broth
 - 3 cups rice (I use 5-minute white rice)
 - 2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (I used 3 small frozen chicken breasts)
 - 1 small can pimentos
 - 1 1/2 tsp. salt

What to do:
 - Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 - Cook rice per box directions; set aside.
 - Cook chicken (I cooked them covered in the microwave for about 12 minutes on HIGH); cut into cubes.
 - Melt butter in saucepan.
 - Add flour and salt; blend.
 - Add evaporated milk and chicken broth; stir constantly until mixture thickens slightly.
 - Add chicken, rice, mushrooms and pimentos.; stir.
 - Pour mixture into greased 2 qt. casserole dish.
 - Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until heated thoroughly.

Happy cooking!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment