Friday, October 18, 2013

walk to end alzheimer's

This past Sunday, I had the privilege of increasing awareness for a cause that is very close to my heart: finding a cure for Alzheimer's.  You see, Alzheimer's runs in my family. I have several relatives who bravely battled this disease. My grandfather (Pops) - for whom this blog is named and inspired - passed away last June after bravely enduring Aphasia and Alzheimer's.   Steve and I were married on June 16, 2012 - Pops wasn't able to travel to Texas for the wedding but I know he was there in spirit. He passed away two days later. I still miss him, every day. 
Every year, my firm participates in a fundraising campaign for the Walk to End Alzheimer's, sponsored by the Alzhimer's Association.  Last year I was out of town during the event, so I wasn't able to participate.  I was thrilled to learn that we would be in town this year, though, and jumped at the opportunity to get involved.  After a flurry of fundraising (and overwhelming generosity from my family and friends), the day of the Walk had arrived. 
The day was perfect. There was not a cloud in the sky as 3,000 walkers gathered in downtown Indy with flowers and t-shirts in honor of loved ones.  There was so much color and sunshine - Pops would have loved it.  I couldn't imagine a more perfect way to honor Pops on the most beautiful day in October.  
If you would like to support the Alzheimer's Association in their efforts to find a cure for this disease, which is the sixth leading cause of death in the U.S., you can do so here


No comments :

Post a Comment