Friday, October 18, 2013

chicken enchilada chili

I'm not a great cook.  It's not that I don't enjoy cooking, but by the time I get home from work in the evening, it's usually too late to begin prepping an extravagant meal for us.  I'm also pretty simple when it comes to food, so I just haven't really developed any serious cooking skills.  I'd like to become a better cook, though, and have decided to try to expand my cooking repertoire.  In order to keep track of what works (and what doesn't), I'll be posting some recipes here.  Feel free to try them out yourself!  If I can make them, so can you.  I promise.

So without further ado - I made a surprisingly easy chicken enchilada chili in my crockpot for small group this week.  This receipe comes from that lovely lady, Ms. Betty Crocker, and my slightly-modified version was a huge hit at small group.  I also reheated a small amount for lunch today and found that it reheats very well. 
 
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Chili (serves 6)
What you need:
  • 1 1/4 lb chicken thighs (recipe calls for boneless, skinless but I didn't have those on hand.  If yours have bones, it's very easy to shred the meat off the bones once you're done cooking)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 1 medium yellow pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium red pepper, chopped
  • 2 cans (14.5oz each) stewed tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
  • 2 cans (15oz each) chili beans in sauce, undrained
  • 1 can (10oz) enchilada sauce
  • 1 can (10oz) hot enchilada sauce
What to do:
  • Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients except sour cream and cilantro in cooker.
  • Cover and cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.  (I doubled the recipe and cooked for 10 hrs)
  • Stir mixture to break up chicken.
  • Top each serving with sour cream and Mexican cheese
Happy cooking!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment