Tuesday, September 3, 2013

the homestead

It's official: my parents are all mostly moved in to their new house!  I am so thankful that I was able to fly down and help them get settled in over the long weekend.  As I mentioned in this post, the house is remarkably similar to my folks' prior house in Houston, so it felt like home from the start. 
Isn't it beautiful?  Even Herman seemed to figure out that it was the old house, only better.  He's a smart one.
Gannie and my little sister both came into town to help, too.  My sis was on a week-long break from med school rotations, so the timing was perfect. 
Seeing the house getting put together (or back together) was so fun.  This picture in particular holds a special place in my heart and reminds me that even though Steve and I may not live in Texas, both of  us are still there in spirit (and on display in the living room). 
Seeing our wedding pictures on the mantle makes my heart sing.
 
We spent most of the weekend unpacking boxes, but still took some breaks to have some fun (aka swimming in the pool, extended lunch breaks and tex-mex of course!). 
I also stumbled across a plethora of awkward ninth grade photos, aka the "Awkward Amy" stage.  Oh, to be young and in braces again....wearing denim on denim... although rumor has it denim on denim is back in?  I can't bring myself to try that trend - must be because I overdid it as a high school freshman.  Anyway, it was fun to uncover these memories.
My sister was the first to leave yesterday.  Saying good-bye to her is always hard.  She had to fill up her car with gas, so of course the entire family accompanied her to the gas station before she left.  We are big on family bonding. 
Love her.
It was hard to leave, but I am so glad that I was able to share in this special memory with my family.  Being far away from them can be incredibly hard at times, and while I was unpacking "my room" I couldn't help but wish I lived down the street so I could stop by any day.  That's not in the cards for us right now, but I am so thankful for God's timing in pushing the closing back just enough that I could be there with my parents on the first night that they spent in their new home.  And I can't wait to visit the homestead again soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment