Friday, September 6, 2013

from one amy to another

I've been reflecting a lot lately on this phase of my life called my "twenties."  I'm over halfway through them, and starting to look to thirty.  There's so much to look forward to, but also so much I have learned in this phase of my life.  I have found myself thinking back to who I was as a twenty-year-old, and wishing I could pass along some "life lessons" to that girl.  As a twenty-year-old, I was still learning so much of who I was and who I wanted to be.  Now, seven years later, I feel like I have a better understanding of who I am, where my priorities lie and who/what is important to me.  I've learned a lot since I was the girl in this picture and am so thankful for the journey of life that she has traveled to get to my present-day. 
But if I could sit down across the table from her, maybe over a chai tea latte, some froyo or a glass of white wine, I'd love to share some of my heart with her.  I would tell her:
  • It's okay to be pale.
  • There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to bed early.
  • Not everyone will always wish you the best - but that's okay.
  • Just because you're swimming 4-5 hours a day doesn't mean you should eat whatever you want.  Make smart food choices, because when swimming stops, you'll have to eat like a regular person.  And it will be quite a shock.
  • Spend time alone with God every day... it will make the rest of your day so much better.
  • Stop looking for love.  It will find you when the time is right.  And stop worrying about finding The One.  Believe me - you'll know when you meet him! 
  • Swimming isn't everything.
  • You don’t need a certain number of friends, just a number of friends you can be certain of.
  • Don't pretend to be someone you are not - God sees right through you.
  • Soak up the little moments of college - you'll never experience anything like it again and you will think back on it with fondness for the rest of your life.
  • Thai food is really delicious.
  • Guard your heart. 
  • Embrace your inner nerd.  She's bound to come out sooner or later, anyway.  (but surprise: you're not going to do anything with that biochem degree after all!) 
  • Pizza at 2am is not a good idea.  Ever.  Ok fine... rarely, ever.
  • RELAX.  You don't have to try to be perfect at everything!
  • Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
  • You have the rest of your life to pursue your dreams - keep 'em big!
  • Believe it or not, after you move away, you will actually miss Houston.  But don't worry, you'll get to travel back more than you would have thought and each trip gets better and better.
  • You're beautiful in your own skin. 
  • Mexican food just isn't the same outside of the Lone Star State.
  • Love doesn't always look like what you see in the movies.  But it's better than the movies, because it is real
Yes, I think we would have a really nice chat.  Oh twenty-year-old me - what an incredible journey these seven years has been.  Can't wait to see what the remaining three years of my twenties have in store.

No comments :

Post a Comment