Friday, August 2, 2013

wedding jitters

This season has been full of weddings for us.  We have attended five so far (including this one, this one and this one), with two more to go, and couldn't make two because they coincided with other wedding weekends.  Steve told me when we first began dating that, "there are two things you don't say 'no' to - weddings and funerals."  We have done our best to stick with this motto and it's made for a fun wedding season thus far...and each wedding reminds me of our own special day.
Weddings are so fun - especially after you've had your own, I think.  I love seeing what each bride (and groom) dreamed up for the decor, selected for the ceremony and chose for her wedding gown.  Each wedding we have been to this year has been unique.  Each bride has been radiant.  Each ceremony was moving.  Each Mr. and Mrs. looked so wonderfully in love.  And it has been a blast seeing old friends and acquaintances from high school, college and law school.
The thing about weddings is that each one is like a journey back in time.  You see faces you haven't seen since college.  You reunite with old friends.  You speak with people that you haven't talked to in years.  Sometimes I can't wait for these blasts from the past and I look forward to them for months.  Other times, I get incredibly nervous about seeing people again - suffering from what I like to call "wedding jitters."  Usually the jitters hit when I was once close with that person but am no longer, or when I don't want to re-live or be reminded of difficult times in my past. 

I have one of those wedding-jitter weddings coming up.  And I know it will be absolutely fine once I am there, but I am nervous anyway.  There will be many faces there that I haven't seen in years.  It's not that I fear seeing them - they are all actually quite sweet and fun - as much as it is being reminded of a time in my life when I struggled.  That, and we just don't stay in touch anymore.

I am so thankful that Steve is coming with me.  I am so thankful that my friends will be there and that we are guaranteed to have a great time.  And I am thankful that, deep down, I know that once I see these folks, everything will be just fine.  It will be a great wedding celebration.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 4:6-7 (esv)

Do you ever get the wedding jitters?  If so, how do you handle them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment