Tuesday, August 13, 2013

trip to pa

This weekend, Steve and I hit the road to Lancaster, Pennsylvania for a college friend's wedding.  We have been on a roadtrip kick this summer and decided to drive instead of fly - a total of ten hours each way or so.  I'm so glad that we drove, though, because we got to stop in Pittsburgh on the way there to see my aunt and uncle, who we hadn't seen since our wedding last year. 
 
When we first arrived in town, we all went out for a delicious seafood dinner.  I tried a chilean sea bass - it was divine.  Steve, who is still cooking up a storm in our house, was taking notes on his cedar plank salmon.  Yum!   It was so nice to share a meal with my aunt and uncle and just catch up on life.
After dinner, we headed back to their house, poured a glass (or two) of wine and relaxed in their beautiful backyard. 
My aunt and uncle's fur-babies also joined us outside.  Even the cat, Rizzo - she roams around the bakcyard on a leash.  So funny to watch!
 
My parents have always told me how much I am like my Aunt Laura, and I just cherish every moment I get to spend with her.  We have so many of those, "omgsh, you too??" moments and every since I was little, she has always been a blast to hang out with - she really is the epitome of a fun aunt.  I relate to her in so many ways and wish I could see her more.  Also, we both have the middle name Elizabeth, which clearly makes us soul sisters or something.  It's a good middle name.
We had a really great stay with them and were sad to cut our trip short! We hope to head back out to Pittsburgh sometime soon (maybe for a Steelers game this fall?!) and I can't wait.  But we had to hit the road for the remaining four hours of our trip for the wedding.  Our hotel in Lancaster was beautiful and within walking distance to the wedding ceremony, which worked out perfectly.
 
The wedding itself was beautiful and it was so fun catching up with all of my old college swimming teammates between the ceremony and the reception.  There were ten of us there in total, not counting the bride!
I was a little nervous, since I hadn't seen many of the girls in years, but everyone was wonderful and I couldn't help but remember all of the fun times that we had together at swim meets and training trips in college. 
It was so good to see my college roommate/best friend - we don't see each other very much anymore since she lives in Houston, but Rice weddings are such a great excuse to spend time together!  Love this girl.
The wedding reception was at the beautiful Lancaster Country Club.  Steve (and all of my guy friends) were very tempted to escape during cocktail hour to hit a few balls, because the golf course was immaculate.  Don't worry, they restrained themselves in the end.  We did see a ball almost hit a wedding guest though!  Guess that's one of the dangers of an outdoor cocktail hour at the end of the 18th hole.
We had a wonderful time and danced the night away before heading back to the hotel for some shuteye before the long trip back home.  The weekend was a whirlwind, but I loved every second of it.  It's always good to see my old college crew, I really enjoyed catching up with old swimmer friends, and the detour to see my aunt and uncle was the icing on the cake. 
We only have one more wedding left this year (whew), but I must say it's been quite a successful wedding season thus far and this weekend was ranks pretty high on best weekends of the summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment