Monday, June 24, 2013

ladies' weekend

Since my mom has been visiting my grandma and aunt in Chicago this past week, I seized the opportunity to spend the weekend with them all and headed up to my grandma's house in the Indiana Dunes after work on Friday. 
Growing up, I spent many weekends, summer weeks and holidays at my grandparents' house in the Dunes.  It's just a short 2.5 hour drive from Indianapolis, which made it easy to head up for a short (or long) weekend.  When my family moved to Georgia (and then to Texas), one of the biggest losses I felt was not seeing my grandparents as much.  When I returned to Indianapolis for law school, I tried to get up to the Dunes as often as I could to see them.  It has been such a blessing to be so close to the Dunes once more.  And when my mom comes to visit, it's like a mini-family reunion! 

On Saturday morning, we headed into town to stroll through the european market.  There's something special about a small town euro market - it's amazing what gems you can find there.  Afterwards, we enjoyed the most delicious soft pretzels ever in the downtown park where I used to come as a kid to eat Dunkin' Donuts with Pops, meet Santa Claus at Christmastime, and watch the Wizard of Oz Festival parades.  So many memories!
Aren't my mom and grandma the cutest?
 On Saturday afternoon, we saw "Now You See Me" in the local theater.  Really great movie - I highly recommend it.  Afterwards, we caught a beautiful sunset on Lake Michigan.
Sunday morning, my mom and I went for a walk along the beach.  That beach is where my parents fell in love, and also where Steve and I got engaged.  It's a special place in the hearts of us Dyerly gals.
Another family tradition - skipping rocks.  My mom is a pro - check out that form.
The rest of the weekend was spent mostly "gabbing," as we like to call it.  We Dyerly women can talk a lot.  All in all, it was a great weekend and I loved seeing my mom.  After going six months without seeing her, I feel so blessed that I got to spend two weekends in a row with her. 
 
I'm hoping to make it down to Texas when my parents move into their new house next month to help my mom unpack. Fingers crossed that we can make it happen!

No comments :

Post a Comment