Sunday, April 21, 2013

the houstonian

I promised in this post to share more about our trip down to Houston last weekend.  I've given bits and pieces in the last couple of posts, but the trip was so great that it is deserving of it's own (lengthy) post.  Here goes!

Steve and I arrived in Houston on Friday afternoon.  After picking up our rental car (a free upgrade to an SUV - only in Texas), we took a quick tour of downtown as we headed to my favorite tex-mex restaurant - Chuy's.  In college, my roommate and I had weekly dates at Chuy's for their delicious queso and margaritas.  I took Steve for the first time when he came to Texas to meet my parents.  He fell in love immediately, so lunch at Chuy's was a must for both of us.
Our next stop was to my alma mater, Rice University.  I may be a little biased, but I think my college campus is the prettiest one there is.  Memories flooded back as we walked through my old lecture halls and across the main quad.  I'm so grateful to have had the privilege of attending Rice, and to have so many great memories there.  It was even better sharing a few of those memories with Steve as we strolled around the campus.

We had plans to meet my sister for dinner, so we had a few hours to waste after the Rice campus tour.  We hopped across the street and spent the rest of the afternoon at Hermann Park.  It's one of the prettiest parts of Houston, and literally right across the street from Rice.
 

After we soaked up some sun in the park, we picked up my sister for an early birthday dinner.
 Isn't she such a beautiful birthday girl?

Saturday began with breakfast with my college roommate and her bf, followed by shopping, lunch and Starbucks with my sister.  Sadly I failed to take pictures all day, but it was a lot of fun.

We stayed at my friend Erin's house for the weekend, and caught up with my girls before heading to Amanda's wedding.
The wedding itself was beautiful.  It was an outdoor ceremony and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.  Amanda looked beautiful and we all had a blast catching up with other old friends at the reception.

On Sunday morning, Steve and I had to catch an early flight but managed to make a quick stop to Shipley's - a Houston breakfast staple - on the way.  Yum!

The weekend was a whirlwind.  A wonderful, fun-filled, friend-filled weekend.  There's nothing like reuniting with old friends - when you get together, no matter how much time has passed, it's like you've never been apart.  I am so thankful for my girls who will always be there for me, through thick and thin, for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment