Thursday, February 14, 2013

the greatest of these

Happy Valentine's Day!  Here's to showing those whom I love just how special they are to me and how grateful I am that God has put them in my life.  Despite the hardships, loss and heartbreak of this past year, I am thankful that God has given me those to love and to be loved by.  He has blessed me with a wonderful family who fights for me, an in-law family who has welcomed me in with open arms, new friends to share life with and a sweet husband with whom I am learning how to show God's covenantal love and to bring each other closer to Him.

 Loving someone on this earth certainly is not perfect, and definitely not easy - in fact, it can be the hardest thing ever sometimes.  That's because we are all sinful and naturally self-centered.  And yet, God still entrusts us with the hearts of others - allows us to fall in love, to have families, to raise children.  He trusts us to love others greater than ourselves, and set the ultimate example for us when He died on the cross for us.  I'm sure He smiles when He sees all the love that is celebrated today... since that love is a sign of something greater, something bigger than just people sharing and celebrating life together. 

Because after all, even the greatest love that you share with someone on this earth is only a shadow of how great God's love is for you. 
 
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

-1 Corinthians 13 (ESV)

No comments :

Post a Comment