Tuesday, February 12, 2013

runaway baby

And so it begins.  Yesterday was Day #1 of training for the Mini Marathon.  And I'm happy to report that I survived!  Granted, it was only 3 miles... we'll see how well it goes when I start doubling, tripling and quadrupling that number! Yikes!  Now to keep moving onward and upward (in mileage) until this moment on May 4th:
 
Ok , so maybe I won't be up in the front row with the crazy-fast professional runners.  I'll actually be about 20,000 places behind these folks, but you get the point.

I've ran two minis before.  The first was during my second year of law school with my friend Michelle.  I was in the middle of recovery from a back injury that ended my collegiate swimming career, so just finishing the race was a huge achievement for me.  The second was in the very early stages of Steve's and my dating relationship.  I don't think he even knew what hit him - one moment we are at dinner talking about starting new hobbies and the next moment he was signed up for a race and training program in one fell swoop.  Poor kid.  In the end, though, he kicked my butt.  Turns out he is naturally adept at running and the fact that his legs are a foot longer than mine gives him a distinct advantage.  So unfair.  But in the end of we both finished and got our participant medals.
  Yippee!

So now begins training for #3.  My work schedule is so crazy and I can easily find ways to talk myself out of working out.  But that's not going to fly this time.  Instead, I'm going to focus on why running is good for me:
  • Stress reliever
  • Time to myself
  • Losing that post-wedding weight
  • Excuse to listen to old 90s boy bands?! Yes!
  • Feeling better about myself
  • Having a routine
  • Sense of accomplishment
  • Endorphins!
Here's to the Mini, round 3!  And yep, if you see me at the gym, I will most definitely look like little yellow raincoat girl and nothing like tough runner beast girl.  At least, not yet :)


2 comments :

  1. Wow! I would love to complete a mini at some point in my life but it's so hard to motivate myself to get to the gym! I've had quite a bit of friends do the 500 mini and the loved it. Maybe if I motivated myself with 90's boy bands, I would get to the gym more often as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boy bands definitely help :) You should think about giving it a try, getting started is the hardest part - I promise!

      Delete