Friday, January 4, 2013

the sunny side of life

One of the great heroes of my life is my grandpa, known dearly to those in our family as Pops.  He was one of those people that just brought light into the room whenever he would walk in. He was my biggest fan through many years of swimming, academics and music.  He passed away earlier this year- two days after our wedding.  I miss him every day.

Throughout my life, Pops taught me many great lessons. I am reminded of many of them daily:
- You've never met a stranger...a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.
- Angels fly because they take themselves lightly.
- You can't fly with the eagles if you run with the turkeys.
- First in, first out (of the water, at countless swim meets growing up).
- Always know how to read a map.
And last but not least, the importance of commemorating, documenting, celebrating and remembering those precious moments in life so they will never be forgotten.

My hope is that this blog will be my way to capture those small moments in life, just as Pops did through countless photo albums, videos and pictures that I will cherish always.  And in his honor, this little blog's title comes from his favorite song, "The Silver Lining."

Look for the silver lining,
Whenever clouds appear in the blue,
Remember somewhere, the sun is shining,
And so the right thing to do
Is make it shine for you
A heart full of love and gladness
Will banish all your sadness and strife
So always look for the silver lining
And try to find the sunny side of life.

No comments :

Post a Comment